The travel and tourism industry was one of the first sectors to be affected by COVID-19 and adversely affected millions of people across the world, including many vulnerable communities, who depend on tourism for their livelihoods. The World Bank Group continues to monitor and advise clients on how to respond to the structural changes that are underway in the tourism
sector. These include:
- increasing focus on health and hygiene standards;
- understanding how demand is changing (including the role of domestic and regional tourism);
- interpreting changing business models due to consolidation and corporate restructuring;
- mobilising innovation and technology solutions impacting distribution and market access; and
- guiding public investments in destinations to position them for a more sustainable and resilient tourism industry post-COVID-19.